What’s the best platform for retro gaming - mame/retropi/original machine

Smarsfan

I’d like to do more retro gaming and am wondering what people think are the best platforms? I’ve used retro pi and mame to name two. Or is this sacrilege, and should only be played on original machines? What do you think? 

• MOD

There are lots of options...

Original Consoles

These offer the most authentic experience, and some people enjoy the collecting side. The downside is that they tend to look terrible on modern TVs, so ideally you would want a CRT. Of course you don't have that problem with handheld consoles like the Game Boy though. Buying original versions of games can be super expensive, but you can also get unofficial carts with 100+ games on. 

Official Mini Consoles

The likes of Sega, Sony, and Nintendo have released mini versions of their most popular consoles over recent years. These have the benefit of feeling fairly authentic since they come with controllers that are almost the same as the originals, but they also work great with modern TVs. 

The downside is that they come with a limited selection of games, but in some cases you can easily hack them and add more. Avoid the PlayStation mini, that thing is terrible.

Third Party Consoles

These are modern unofficial versions of consoles like the SNES and Genesis (Mega Drive in the UK) that work with the original carts, but with the added benefit of also working great with modern TVs. The consoles themselves can be expensive though, and of course so are the original carts. Analogue make the best versions of these consoles.

Retro Pi

If you don't care about collecting, and you want the cheapest option, then there's nothing wrong with Retro Pi. Although I haven't tried one for a few years, I doubt you would notice much difference between playing games on one of those vs one of the official mini consoles - especially if you invest in a decent controller.

• love 1
  • celebrate 1
  • ADMIN
23 hours ago, Paul said:

Third Party Consoles

These are modern unofficial versions of consoles like the SNES and Genesis (Mega Drive in the UK) that work with the original carts, but with the added benefit of also working great with modern TVs. The consoles themselves can be expensive though, and of course so are the original carts. Analogue make the best versions of these consoles.

I had no idea this world even existed. Is it possible to pull these games into a PC via a capture card and stream them? All of a sudden I think I want to try to stream playing old Atari games. Possible?

David Foster | Geek 
:peace:

Wow thanks for all this info Paul! I like David’s idea of capturing these through a capture card and streaming them, will have to look into that too!

You might have seen my Mac classic in the unboxing video - I have a tonne of original retro machines; zx spectrum (timex in the US), BBC micro, original gameboy and gameboy color, and lots of old Apple computers!

• thumbsup 1
  • 4 weeks later...