Morten's K-corner

I got bit by the K-pop bug last year, it all started when I started watching a new streamer on twitch, and their playlist for the stream pretty much only consisted of K-Pop. There was some songs that I started to like after hearing them a few times. This turned into a loophole, after discovering one group, it quickly stacked up and I found even more groups which made music I started to like more and more.

K-pop is often classed as a "genre", but it is as diverse as western pop-music, it's just produced somewhere else, and commonly sung in a different language, in this case, Korean.

You can find groups who have a very diversified discography and have covered various genres, and you can find those who are more focused towards a specific genre.

This can be EDM, R&B, retro, jazz, metal, rock, trap, house, western, songs can also be a mix of multiple genres.

Two of the most known groups globally are BTS (boy-group) and Blackpink (girl-group), but the K-Pop world contains so much more than them, and as I mentioned earlier, very diversified in genres.

I thought about starting this thread, to maybe get more people to know about K-Pop, and share various songs and groups I personally listen to, so more posts will come.

One of my personal favorites for the time being is "I Can't Stop Me" by TWICE, a nine member girl-group from JYP Entertainment. They are by sales numbers and listeners one of the largest girl-groups from Korea on a global level, formed on a reality-show called SIXTEEN in 2015, when they also had their debut. They released an album in late October called "Eyes Wide Open", for their fifth anniversary, and this is the title track from that album, which also got a music video.

Music video:

Dance practice video:

(This post will get updated from time to time)

• thumbsup 1
  • Fix It 1
  • celebrate 1
18 minutes ago, David said:

Do all k-pop bands have like 20 members in them? That seems like it would be crazy to choreograph. :davidwow:

The largest group I know about is NCT, which has 21 members. It's completely normal for groups to have everything from four, to twelve members though. It's a lot of practice for them to get the choreography right, and synced between members.

I've seen a YouTuber do computer analysis of the dance practices many of these groups public, and the good ones is usually from 90 to 95% in sync, all the time through a choreography.

Most of those who end up in groups have decided from an early age that they wanted to become an idol, and have spent hours every day, on vocal practice and dance practices before they even are taken into a entertainment company as a trainee, some makes it to the final lineup of a new group and gets their debut, others doesn't make it. 

The level on artists are very high due to this, they are also good at growing talents.

This is an example of a dance video, a group called Loona, covering one of NCT's songs.

This is a dance cover video from a new group, that are soon do debut, called PURPLE K!SS, covering a song from BTS, which is one of the most known groups globally.

• ADMIN
9 minutes ago, Morten said:

covering a song from BTS

you say covering, but you mean just dancing too their song? So, is K-Pop a combo of dancing and singing, or is K-Pop where they dance to other people's songs? 

• thumbsup 1

David Foster | Geek 
:peace:

16 minutes ago, David said:

you say covering, but you mean just dancing too their song? So, is K-Pop a combo of dancing and singing, or is K-Pop where they dance to other people's songs? 

A group often cover songs from other groups before they have their debut, to show off their skills, whether it's dance or vocal covers, to build up hype around them, and to let people know about their abilities.

After a group have had their debut, they mostly do their own songs and choreographies, but some random covers occur from time to time, especially if they are from a smaller and more unknown label.

Dancing and singing is essential to all K-Pop groups, you'll seldom find a group who does only vocals, dance is always implemented.

• thumbsup 1
6 hours ago, ConstructionKronies said:

Have you seen the BlackPink documentary on Netflix (I think)? It is really something how they put these groups together. The marketing and research that goes into it. They have camps of kids who all contend to be in these groups. 

I don't have a Netflix subscription, so I haven't come around to watch the documentary yet, but it's correct that there are used massive resources on training, marketing and research before a group have their debut.

There have been some numbers going around online, pointing out that debuting a new group could cost upwards off $1 million, that includes training, marketing, research, producing music video, promotions in music shows etc.

Then you got comebacks, most groups have two of them every year, which comes with a mini-album that contains up to 6 songs, one music video and two to four weeks of promotions in music shows.

Comeback: When a group comes out with a new mini-album or album a music video and have promotions in shows, etc, after their debut is called a comeback for K-Pop groups (if you wonder what a comeback means in K-Pop).